Friday, August 12, 2011

Loving Technology



Last night the boys & I FINALLY  got to SKYPE with our soldier for the first time in 5 weeks! It's a long story but basically he is still stuck living in a tent with twenty something soldiers. There is simply no extra room for private living at the moment. He works a late shift & can use his computer at work to chat on Facebook. That has made it easy for me to keep up with him but bad for the kids. It was wonderful to see all their little faces as their dad popped onto the screen last night. It took a couple minutes for him to be able to hear & see us but when he could his whole face lit up!





We laughed because he was in one of the MWR tents & you could hear a ping-pong game  going on during most of the conversation.The boys told him a few of their favorite things they had done while on vacation in TN. He loved their new haircuts- we could actually see their faces. After about ten minutes of chatting with the whole family I got him all to myself for about another 10 to 15 minutes. He did look tired because he had been working all night & it was 7:30AM time for him to go to bed. But it was so nice to actually hear his voice & see his face. He could have slept through our SKYPE time with out me being upset. I loved seeing his reaction on his face as I told him all the latest news from home. Chatting on Facebook is nice, but not the same as actually watching his smile or shocked expression over things we discussed. I miss him a lot but am loving me some technology this morning for sure! We hope to be able to set up some more SKYPE times about three a week now that he has his routine down. We will just have to keep our fingers crossed they eventually get those last guys moved into their own barracks rooms soon. Then he can get a better days sleep as well as SKYPE whenever we want!

2 comments:

Danielle, VA Beach Photographer said...

YAY!! So glad you got to SKYPE with him! I am so thankful for SKYPE. It makes them seem less far away when you can see their face!! :) Happy for you and your family!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome! I'm happy for you! We've never done the Skype thing but now that Little Butt is getting older I'm thinking it may be a necessity. I can just feel the happiness exuding from this post. Thanks for sharing!