Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sweat & Chicken

My day started off with super sore quads from my Wednesday workout. We did my version of a bootylicious workout. I had DOMS for sure this morning in the quad region. I then decided today would be back, arms, & chest with some cardio. Once all four of us super ladies arrived & where warmed up we hit it hard! I had a circuit going that hit your bi-ceps, your shoulders, your lower back, the area I call my bat wings-lol Plus some Burpees with long jumps to get that heart rate back up while we worked. Here is a lovely picture of me almost done with round 3 of everything.


I was super sweaty & tired at this point. I barely finished burpee / long jump #25! But I DID!! I hate that you can see my silly back fat even though I work hard 6 days a week in this picture- not sure if it just comes with my old age or what? After we finished this we jumped on the ellipticals for a good 25 minutes of cardio. Leg Pain- YES!! I was going so slow for my normal self- but I stuck with it even though at one point I was pretty sure I couldn't feel my legs anymore. After I got home I was so hungry & super excited to try out the new garden chicken burger recipe I found yesterday. Thank you Pinterest! I modified it a little due to not have a couple of ingredients but man oh man was it tasty!


I left off the bun because I have a PopChips addiction- the sweet potato kind-YUMM!! I enjoyed my Popchips and burger. Now I am happily folding clothes & watching Eclipse on this rainy day. I have some seriously sore muscles going on in my legs right now. I cringe everytime I get up- but I know it'll pass. We are down to 16 days until our Spartan Sprint & I intend to hit my training hard so I don't feel like I want to die at the end of my race. I hope you all got a good workout in today!

Garden Chicken Burger with Strawberry Sauce

3 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled
1 medium zucchini, peeled
1 lb lean ground chicken breast
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
6 flatbreads or naan
1 cup arugula or baby spinach

1. Warm 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in mint and remove from heat.

2. Preheat grill to medium. Using a box grater or mandoline, shred carrot and zucchini, then chop into small pieces. In a large bowl, lightly mix shredded vegetables, ground chicken, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Form into 6 patties and brush with remaining vegetable oil.

3. Place burgers on grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Meanwhile, toast bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side.

4. Line flatbreads with arugula, add burgers, and top with strawberry sauce, then fold bread over burgers.

Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 387 cal, 8 g fat (2 g sat), 54 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 497 mg sodium, 27 g protein


 

No comments: